Do you ever want to just hug your Self-from-the-past? Because sometimes I just want to hug my PastSelf and say, “Thank you, PastSelf, for making CurrentSelf happier and making my life easier.”
Examples of such times include:
- PastSelf loses $5, and then CurrentSelf finds them in her shorts pocket JUST AS SHE WANTS A FIVE DOLLAR ICE CREAM CONE. Thank you, Past Self.
- PastSelf buys extra stamps and puts them somewhere that is easy to find. CurrentSelf rarely needs stamps, but when she does, they are there! Exactly where PastSelf left them! Thanks, PastSelf.
- CurrentSelf cannot remember where her official college transcript is… perhaps PastSelf, in some moment of organizational haze, put it somewhere organized… like in a file cabinet? There it is! Thanks, PastSelf
Here is why I am grateful for PastSelf today: I’m doing this whole applying vet school thing. You may have heard. Anyway, I’ve been agonizing over my letters of recommendation. I know who I’d like to write them, but they’re people that I haven’t worked with in a few years, and I feel a little funny calling them up out of the blue and saying, “Out of all those other students you’ve worked with (who were not as awesome as I am, of course), please recall all the reasons I am amazing and write about them in detail. Thanks.”
On a whim I called the health profession advising office at my college, just to see if they had a file on me. Maybe, on a whim, PastSelf set something up there?
You guys, I love PastSelf! Not only did she set up a file, she already has those two letters of recommendation completed! In the file! And then they set up an appointment for CurrentSelf (that’s me, now) to talk to the main adviser about the whole application process tomorrow!
So things I love today:
- PastSelf. Thanks again, PastSelf.
- The Office for Pre-Health Advising at my expensive college. This alone is totally worth tuition. Thanks, College.
Are you ever incredibly grateful for your self-of-the-past, or is this just a weird thing I do? Or an awesome thing I do? And is it awesome enough to be a reason to let me into vet school? And did I mention that this blog is now going to be Roughing It: I’m Applying to Vet School! (and also maybe planning a wedding)? Just kidding. Sort of.