Apparently, I am not talking enough about my wedding.
“Blah blah blah, Bird, your relationship is good and nice job with all that work, but can we please talk about the important things?” you said, dear anonymous reader/commenter person. You said, “I want to hear about what really matters. Like the planning of your wedding.”
By which I assume, commenter of mine, you mean napkins. You mean which chairs we picked and how we picked them, and what our invitations look like.
I have two important responses to this:
- This wedding is about a freakin’ relationship. It’s not about the napkins! And I think that there are plenty of resources out there for people who want to talk about napkins and chairs, and I have little interest in being one of those resources. I think that there could stand to be a lot more resources talking about our relationships and what is hard about them and how we get through that. I think that there should be more emphasis on planning for the marriage, and more posts about how people wrote their vows. We already get enough of “YOU NEED A DRESS FOR YOUR MOST IMPORTANT DAY (and it must make you flutter!).” Give me some of the, “Here’s how we were realistic in the writing of our vows while maintaining hope and romance.” Give me some, “Here’s how to revel in this day that is one of your many important days, but for sure not the only one.”
- Um, the other reason you haven’t really been hearing so much about the planning of our actual wedding is day is because. Um. We haven’t really been doing any. Ooh look a pretty bird!
So here’s what happened: we hit a point where it’s just about waiting. We are waiting for and on a lot of things, like for my muslin suit to come in the mail and then for them to make the actual cloth version of it; for our invitations to be put together; for someone to make a decision about what favors we’re going to do, and then for someone to make those favors.
Okay, so a lot of what we’re waiting for would happen if we would stop waiting for it.
But there it is, folks – the reason you haven’t heard much about our wedding planning is because we’re just not doing it. We are still settling into our new home, which is coming along nicely. We are trying to be nice to each other. We are trying to stay friends with our friends, and to make enough money to get by. You know, we are living our life, and wedding planning is fun, and being prepared for our big wedding day is important, but it is not at the top of the list right now, and that is okay with me.
There are, though, some things you can look forward to hearing about soon:
- Our invitations! They are in the process of happening. By which I mean that our designer/awesome friend Lisa is waiting (again, we’re in a waiting stage right now) to hear from us about what we want the invitation to say. And we are waiting to be inspired? Sorry, Lisa.
- My shoes! I found some! This post will not be exciting, but look! Wedding related!
- Um… our chairs? No, just kidding. Not something I care about.
- Favors! We’re waiting… to have time to make them? Whatever they end up being, they are for sure something I am excited about, and something I hope our guests are excited about, too.
- Possibly a bridal shower, but at the very least a picture of the pretty, pretty invitation I got for it.
- Bridesmaids dresses. OMG you should be on the edge of your seat by the time you get to this point in the list.
Oh, and here’s a question for you, reader who did not anonymously comment but might actually have nice things to say: Are you at all interested in reading about our budget? Because I imagine that such a post will be agonizingly boring to write, but I always found it helpful and interesting to see other peoples’ budgets. Or will you just judge me? Yes, I am spening $500 on our venue. It’s rough leading my life. Really.
Feeling a little sassy tonight? Why yes, thank you. Please comment and tell me about your favorite part of wedding planning, and, if you’re feeling ambitious, tell me something you want to read about.